NWAltimas

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NWAltimas

North West Altimas

4 posters

Need advice on brakes

3rdgen2.5s
    3rdgen2.5s

Need advice on brakes Empty Need advice on brakes

Post by 3rdgen2.5s August 24th 2009, 8:23 pm

This seemed like the best place to post my question. I have had my altima for almost 2 years and 12xxx miles later it is nearing 60k and the brakes are become worse more and more everyday. I have never kept a car long enough to worry about the brakes so I am in new territory. The front do the most braking correct? So should I focus on replacing those or do all 4? Also what combination of rotors and pads work good? This is just a dd so longevity>performance for me. I would prefer to keep the rotors and have them resurfaced but have heard our stock rotors are no good. What about OE pads? Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right and do it once.
    bt2580
    bt2580

Need advice on brakes Empty Re: Need advice on brakes

Post by bt2580 August 25th 2009, 4:57 am

3rdgen2.5s wrote:This seemed like the best place to post my question. I have had my altima for almost 2 years and 12xxx miles later it is nearing 60k and the brakes are become worse more and more everyday. I have never kept a car long enough to worry about the brakes so I am in new territory. The front do the most braking correct? So should I focus on replacing those or do all 4? Also what combination of rotors and pads work good? This is just a dd so longevity>performance for me. I would prefer to keep the rotors and have them resurfaced but have heard our stock rotors are no good. What about OE pads? Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right and do it once.

This is a loaded question...

Many of the aftermarket rotors and pads made for our cars are quite honestly garbage. The rotors can be turned, but in most cases are not worth doing so. The more you cut off to make them true, the less material to dissipate heat, which leads to warping sooner. The OE rotors are probably going to be one of the best choices for what you are looking for in a DD.

As for pads, I would stick with OE as well. They tend to work pretty well, offer decent performance and are quiet. There are plenty of other choices out there, but most of those are more performance oriented.

While the rule of thumb is that the front brakes do most of the stopping, I have heard of the rears going first on the Gen3's, so check those as well.
    clouderold

Post by clouderold August 25th 2009, 10:07 pm

What Bill said Smile
    3rdgen2.5s
    3rdgen2.5s

Post by 3rdgen2.5s September 10th 2009, 2:27 am

Thanks Bill I will probably just stick with all OE parts when it comes time to replace them. Hopefully they can hold up until tax time.
    aarondynamic

Post by aarondynamic September 18th 2009, 2:04 am

I would agree with bill. My brakes started squeeling, purchased after market rotors and pads ( they were pretty sucky. Yeah I know, ebay.) So I just stayed with the OEM rotors and went with the nismo pads. Then badda bing badda boom it's all gravy now. Holla!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 12th 2024, 4:57 am